Thursday, April 8, 2010

First day in LA

Once again another successful trip to San Francisco. It was sad to leave Emily, but I am excited for her new beginning and also excited to see David. I took the 11:10am flight from San Fran to LA. When I get to the LAX and make it to the baggage claim Dave is spread out across several of the Airport chairs with his silent LA arrogance that I think has developed over time.

We get out of the airport and Dave immediately puts me to work (Workout that is). He must have noticed I was gaining weight.

Upon reaching Dave's apartment he immediately makes me change into workout clothes and join him running up Runyon Canyon. After running I am content with this workout for the day and ready to move on. Dave notifies me we will be making a a quick stop at the Cross Fit Hollywood. Forgetting to mention that Cross Fit is the gym that he and other athletic freaks of nature frequently attend for the most intense workouts on this planet.



At the gym the owner writes up a new workout for me that he says is light. We begin a different workout from the written. We start with rowing 250 meters followed by 10 pushups followed by rowing 250 meters followed by 10 pushups followed by 3 sets of 10 double unders (with a jump rope) and squats. Then we do 3 different sets of sit ups on a weight ball and then move on to throwing the 20 pound weight ball at the ground and catching the bounce 20 times.

After 30 minutes of this painful endurance I am content that I have had a GREAT workout for the day, but I am soon to realize this was only a warm up for the real workout (I will attach the specifics of the real workout). Needless to say halfway through the actual workout I did what most first time Cross Fitters do.....i threw up. The good thing about this is that if you throw up you get a free t-shirt. It looks like they are running out of t-shirts so i can only imagine how many have accomplished this feat.



After the workout we went to dinner with a lot of people from the gym for a cross fitter J.P.'s birthday. We had Mexican and it was a lot of fun.

Although this is not what I expected my first day in LA I feel good now and I am already enjoying the city. The people I have met are all very nice and helpful.

No comments: